1959 MGA Twincam Roadster - £21,995

  • 1.JPG
  • DSC_0002.JPG
  • DSC_0003.JPG
  • DSC_0004.JPG
  • DSC_0005.JPG
  • DSC_0006.JPG
  • DSC_0007.JPG
  • DSC_0008.JPG
  • DSC_0009.JPG
  • DSC_0010.JPG
  • DSC_0011.JPG
  • DSC_0012.JPG
  • DSC_0014.JPG
  • DSC_0013.JPG
  • DSC_0015.JPG
  • DSC_0016.JPG
  • DSC_0018.JPG
  • DSC_0017.JPG
  • DSC_0019.JPG
  • DSC_0020.JPG
  • DSC_0021.JPG
  • DSC_0022.JPG
  • DSC_0023.JPG
  • DSC_0024.JPG
  • DSC_0025.JPG
  • DSC_0026.JPG
  • DSC_0027.JPG


Here we have a beautiful 1959 MGA Twincam Roadster. It is an older restoration finished in Red with Black Leather piped in white. The car is an incredibly rare UK Supplied, Right Hand Drive, Twincam Roadster but due to the well documented engine problems was fitted with a MGB Engine from the early sixties. As a result of this we know have a beautiful rare car but with bulletproof reliability and ease of use.


Conceived as replacement for the traditional 'T'-Series MGs, the MGA combined a rigid chassis with the Austin-designed, 1,489cc B-Series engine that had first appeared in the ZA Magnette. Running gear was based on that of the TF, with independent coil-sprung wishbone front suspension and a live rear axle. Clad in a curvaceous aerodynamic body and capable of topping 95mph, the MGA proved an instant hit, selling 13,000 units in its first full year of production. 

Immensely popular though it was, the MGA faced stiff competition from the larger-engined Triumph TR3 and Austin-Healey 100/6. Coaxing more power from the standard engine was becoming increasingly difficult, so development concentrated on a twin-overhead-camshaft cylinder head for the B-Series block. Conceived at Cowley by BMC engineer Gerald Palmer and introduced in 1958, the new 1,588cc engine did not disappoint, producing an impressive 108bhp at 6,700rpm. Considerably faster than the stock MGA, the Twin Cam could comfortably exceed 110mph, and to cope with the increased performance Dunlop disc brakes were fitted all round and Dunlop centre-lock wheels adopted. A high price discouraged sales however, and the model was dropped after just two years. Production totalled 2,111 cars, a mere 360 of which were sold on the home market, and today the Twin Cam is one of the most sought-after of post-war MG sports cars.


YD1/2194 left the factory in June 1959 being registered that November. Originally fitted with engine number RJ8682, the twin-cam unit is no longer with the car and a replacement early Sixties 1800cc, 5 Bearing, MGB unit with unleaded head mated to an overdrive MGB gearbox fitted. Finished in Chariot Red, it features competition De Luxe seats and rides on wire wheels. During the previous owners nine-year ownership, the car has been maintained by Brown & Gammons and used regularly on tours and rallies throughout the UK. When purchased, it was driven from Bodmin to Baldock non-stop by the previous owner, a fitting testament to its reliability.


A stainless-steel exhaust was fitted in 2010 and Brown & Gammons replaced the hood and carpets in 2013. Recent attention to the brakes means the car stops well. As an older but good quality restoration, the car remains "good" although there are areas of paintwork that could benefit from improvement, there is some microblistering on the bonnet for instance. A small tear in one of the black leather seats where the hood folds away is also noted. We are using the car daily and it is nothing but a pleasure to use. The current MoT expires in October and it needs nothing except a new owner. This is a beautiful and usable car with the added benefit of being the rarest and most desirable of all the models, so enjoy the car until you find a Twin Cam engine on ebay, then the future value will increase significantly. You are not paying a penny extra for this being a Twin Cam, we have priced the car as a great MGA, that fact is just a bonus.