1936 Lagonda LG45 Drophead Coupe - £124,995

  • IMG_5287.JPG
  • IMG_5294.JPG
  • IMG_5295.JPG
  • IMG_5296.JPG
  • IMG_5297.JPG
  • IMG_5298.JPG
  • IMG_5300.JPG
  • IMG_5299.JPG
  • IMG_5301.JPG
  • IMG_5302.JPG
  • IMG_5304.JPG
  • IMG_5303.JPG
  • IMG_5306.JPG
  • IMG_5305.JPG
  • IMG_5307.JPG
  • IMG_5308.JPG
  • IMG_5310.JPG
  • IMG_5309.JPG
  • IMG_5311.JPG
  • IMG_5312.JPG
  • IMG_5325.JPG
  • IMG_5329.JPG
  • IMG_5328.JPG
  • IMG_5331.JPG
  • IMG_5330.JPG
  • IMG_5332.JPG
  • IMG_5333.JPG
  • IMG_5334.JPG
  • IMG_5336.JPG
  • IMG_5335.JPG
  • IMG_5337.JPG
  • IMG_5339.JPG
  • IMG_5338.JPG
  • IMG_5340.JPG
  • IMG_5341.JPG
  • IMG_5342.JPG
  • IMG_5385.JPG
  • IMG_5386.JPG
  • IMG_5387.JPG

This is a 1936 Lagonda LG45 Drophead Coupe RHD finished in light and dark blue with a blue Bridge of Weir leather interior. The clock is showing 311 miles. This is a lovely example of one of the most desirable pre-war tourers available. 


Having established its reputation by winning the Moscow - St Petersburg Reliability Trial of 1910 with a 30hp six, Lagonda concentrated mainly on the production of light cars before reverting to sporting and luxury models in the mid-1920s with the introduction of the 14/60. This four-cylinder, 2-litre model was joined in 1929 by the first of Lagonda's own sixes - the 3-Litre - but by the mid-1930s the Meadows-engined cars were seen as the way forward. Introduced at the 1933 Olympia Show and based on the preceding ZM 3-Litre model, the M45 deployed Meadows' 4½-litre, twin-plug six to good effect, saloons being capable of reaching 90mph and tourers the 'ton' under favourable conditions.

A team of three specially prepared short-chassis cars (effectively the soon-to-be-announced M45 Rapide) prepared by Lagonda main agents Fox & Nicholls performed creditably at the 1934 RAC Tourist Trophy at Ards, and the following year one of these TT cars driven by John Hindmarsh and Luis Fontes won the Le Mans 24-Hour endurance classic outright.

Under W O Bentley's technical direction the big Lagonda became more refined: the M45's successor - the LG45 - gaining synchromesh gears, flexible engine mounts and centralised chassis lubrication among many other improvements. Endowed with such an impeccable pedigree, the 4½-Litre Lagonda quickly established itself as a favourite among the wealthy sporting motorists of its day.

One of only 278 LG45s produced during 1936/37, it is understood that this example was discovered in 'barn find' condition – complete apart from two missing quarter-lights – in a South Wales barn in the early 1980s. Restored by 1991, it then benefited from an interior re-trim in Bridge of Weir leather and was displayed at various shows in the Bristol area over the years. It is understood that the car received a replacement block during the restoration, and a used block that may be original is included in the sale. The car had covered only some 300 miles post-rebuild when it was purchased and exported by the previous owner at Bonhams' auction at The National Motor Museum, Beaulieu in September 2010, since when it has been kept on static display. Recommissioning will be required before further use.


A rare example of one of the most coveted of 'post-Vintage thoroughbreds', this handsome Lagonda LG45 is offered with old V5 and part V5C registration documents.